Sunday, 11 December 2011

Bettie Page: The Queen of Pin Ups


Its 3 years today that Bettie Page, the most famous, and influential Pin Up Girl died of a heart attack aged 85. Bettie Page modelled for a total of 6 years, and yet is still one, if not the, most photographed model in history. I thought today would be an appropriate day to post an university project I did in which we had to create a form of exhibition in the form of a collection, my collection was my knowledge, and images I had collected of Bettie Page. I created a small miniature set-like exhibition featuring photographs of Bettie page and other elements from the 1950's, next to things which she has inspired, for example an image of Bettie Page wearing a conical bra next to an image of Madonna in which she is also wearing a conical bra. I also included things such as how Bettie Pages curvier figure was seen as the perfect figure when she was modelling (and is to some still now), and how that is compared to what the media perceive as 'perfect' now. The story of Bettie Page's life is influential to many, but especially to me, so much of my work is inspired by her existence and the things she has inspired. Rest in peace Bettie Page!


Photographs of my collection:





No comments:

Post a Comment