Thursday, 2 May 2013

'Nonsense' Brief set by Lord Whitney

Creatives Lord Whitney came into our studio recently to set us a brief. They came and spoke to each of us about the brief but also about our work and the things that inspire us and how we create our illustration work. They were really enthusiastic and helped me get excited about my own work. They also suggested some people to look at which was extremely helpful as they suggested I look at photographer Helmut Newton. I was very familiar with his work, however was never sure of who the photographs were by, so it was great to finally know where some of my favourite imagery actually came from!

The brief was to create a response to a nonsense poem by Edgar Lair. They encouraged us to use this brief to experiment or maybe try out a new way of working or a process we were interested in. I chose the poem:

"There was a Young Lady whose bonnet,
Came untied when the birds sate upon it;
But she said: 'I don't care!
All the birds in the air
Are welcome to sit on my bonnet!"

I just wanted to move away from digital work so much, because when I do it, it just sucks any form of passion I have for the subject out of me. I decided this would be the start of where I would do so. So as Lord Whitney suggested, I took elements from my chosen limerick and illustrated them. I then screen printed these images. I've never really done the screen printing process on my own for a quick illustration in that was so it was good for me to practice. This was my outcome:



I wasn't particularly happy with the actual drawing, although I was happy with how the prints turned out. The drawing that I put on a screen was sketchy so the actual prints ended up looking almost like chalk which was interesting. So after this I then decided to do another drawing. Here was my final piece:



I know it needs more work but as a short brief I was happy with the outcome.









No comments:

Post a Comment